Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Room for Self Expression

Blog #3


In Dan Pink's TED talk he spoke about the motivation behind people's work. He gave evidence that if given a high incentive and a creative task, participants will do worse. Which is almost completely opposite from what you would expect considering how businesses run presently. Although Pink says simple tasks are done better with higher rewards, I find it very interesting that the creative jobs with higher incentives do worse. I can relate to this in the way that whenever I feel pressured into creating a drawing or anything with creativity involved I feel stressed and do not do as well as I would naturally do if I had just drawn something on my own. I find this study interestingly true. Here is a video which also talks about Pink's mindset about motivation and other things from his novel Drive:






When relating this to education, I immediately think of the arts program. Today, in public high schools students in art based classes are graded upon very strict rubrics. I don't think this should be how students should be graded; in fact I think students should be graded directly the opposite of that position. Yes, they should teach the students about the arts, but everything is art and is beautiful in its own way because of its individuality. I think public schools should have a broader acceptance for art in its varying forms. In a mindset of Daniel Pink, to create better work they should be more creative and right brained and given less pressure to create said piece of artwork. If creativity becomes a major staple of succeeding in the future's society as Pink predicts, shouldn't schools create a healthy and supportive environment of self expression instead of limiting it with rubrics and tedious expectations?
I was in private school for all my life until this year and I have found that a major difference in the systems is the limited expression in the arts. I love public school, my high school is an exceptional school in all areas. All I'm saying is that I wish that society as a whole would entrust upon its students to take learning into their own hands especially when it comes to the arts. Creativity comes from space and freedom, but with strict rubrics and highly specified expectations that creativity will not be able to flow as capably as it could according to Pink's aspects as well. Any type of art class should try to widen the boundaries, the space and freedom so this highly individual creativity can shine and flourish through students today.

Presentation: Daniel Pink is a very good speaker and his presentation mostly consisted of him just talking like many other talks. Pink uses emotion and passion to relate to the crowd and get their minds going. He illustrated the candle problem on a slideshow as well as a few highly important sentences in his speech. Pink captivated his audience with great enthusiasm and passion.

No comments:

Post a Comment